Ukulele Mele offers lessons for people who know a few basic chords and can strum the 'ukulele a little - learn new skills to have more fun today!
- Have fun and learn something from a professional 'ukulele teacher and entertainer with over 50 years 'ukulele playing experience.
- Learn unique 'ukulele strums taught by no one else that you can apply to your favorite songs so they sound better.
- No need to read music - play chords with no muscle strain using Mele's Methods.
SAMPLE THE UKULELE MELE WAY
- Gain an introduction to Mele's Methods. Learn more.
- Try playing Horse with No Name with 2-chords and Happy Birthday with 3-chords, both using the Chalang-alang Strum. Learn more.
- Try playing a harder version of Happy Birthday with 4-chords using two strums. Learn more.
- Attend a ‘Ukulele Strumming Workshop on Maui. Learn more.
LEARN VIA PRIVATE LESSONS - Create a special Maui memory for yourselft or with your family and friends by taking a personal lesson from Ukulele Mele herself!
1. Lessons on Maui are held at the historic Bailey House Museum in Wailuku.
2. Lessons last 1-hour.
3. Rental instruments are available upon request for lessons on Maui.
4. Lessons for small groups of 2-6 family and friends can be arranged.
5. Larger groups or for combination lessons and private concerts are possible by special requests.
Complete the Services Request Form to get the conversation started, or call (808) 281-4981 Hawaii Time.
LEARN VIA ONLINE LESSONS - Learn on your digital device from home, or from anywhere!
1. Subscribers login to the Ukulele Mele Beyond the Basics Course for intermediate players - to learn 16+ songs to 9 different strums and more.
2. The curriculum introduces new chords and new unique strums while building upon lessons learned in Ukulele Mele Basics.
3. Each lesson consists of printable 2-page song sheets, video lesson of how to play it, audio recording to play along with, and video story behind the song in keeping with Hawaiian oral history traditions whether the song is Hawaiian or not.
4.Purchase one month's access, and then continue with the Recurring Monthly Package and save five dollars per month via automatic payment on PayPal.
Webcam (Skype Lessons) - Take a personal lesson with Ukulele Mele over the internet, anywhere in the world.
1. Students get expert feedback from Ukulele Mele without traveling to Maui.
2. Students select from song arrangements in the Packaged Song Sets, Online Lessons, or online Fan Club for a customized repertoire of learning.
LEARN VIA PACKAGED SONG SETS - Purchase Book/DVD/CD packages customized for your level of playing!
- Nostalgic Hawaiian Songs, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 are customized for intermediate players to learn 6 songs with 8 unique strums on their own without needing an internet connection.
- Video lessons, audio recordings, and song arrangements are all in the same key.
- Unlimited off-line access allows you to repeat the lessons as often as you wish.
- Free shipping and handling on each packaged set (international postage is extra and Hawaii residents pay sales tax)
SONG BOOK FEATURES
- Strum graphic showing the motion of your hand and rhythm pattern with a catchy fun name to remember the strum.
- Chord diagrams showing finger placement for standard GCEA tunings
- Introduction and ending chord progressions
- Lyrics and chords in large print on two facing pages
- Music terms explained
- Short story behind the song
Nostalgic Hawaiian Songs, Vol. 1
(Songs with 5-9 chords and complex endings)
Click on song title to hear an audio sample:
1. Aloha 'Oe with Morse Code Strum.
2. Hula O Makee with 'Olapa Strum.
3. Ku'uipo I Ka He'e Pu'e One with Pick in 4 and Latin Strums.
4. Makalapua with I Wanna Rest Strum.
5. On The Beach At Waikiki with Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
6. Sanoe - Waltz Strum: Thumb Strum Up and Pick in 6 Strum.
Nostalgic Hawaiian Songs, Vol. 2
(Songs with 5-8 chords and complex strums)
Click on song title to hear an audio sample:
1. Hawai'i Aloha with Morse Code Strum.
2. Hawaiian War Chant with I Wanna Rest and Latin Strums.
3. Kaimana Hila with 'Olapa Strum.
4. Koni Au I Ka Wai with Hum Ding-Ah Strum.
5. Ku'u Pua I Paoakalani with Pick in 4 Strum.
6. Pua Lilia with 2 Waltz Strums: Thumb Strum Up and Chicken Pluck.
- Read student reviews about their learning experiences with Ukulele Mele
- See photos from performing groups, workshops, classes, and events
- Read about past events
- Read business history highlights since 2011
1. Do you know who invented the 'ukulele? Read more and return on Monday mornings with Ukulele Mele's blog to discover more about music and growing up in Hawai'i.
2. Like us on Facebook
3. Sign up for the free e-newsletter UKE News You Can Use and get the 7-page publication "Meet Your 'Ukulele."
4. Visit the online Fan Club to listen to audio recordings of additional songs arranged the Ukulele Mele way that you can learn to play.